Patricia Miller

Pat was born on New Years Eve in the home of a midwife, Mrs. Gray in Red Springs. The daughter of Carl and Dolly (Butler) Miller, Pat grew up on the land of the 'new' reservation near Bowler. When she was five years old, it came about that there was no child in the community at the proper age to enter the first grade. The teachers at the Government School on the -reservation and Pat's parents decided to start her in school. For a short time, Pat was the only first grade student. Soon another family, the Sticks/Besaws, came to live on the reservation. They had a little boy, Harvey. Harvey came to the school and was with Pat in the first grade. He and Pat became playmates. Pat says she wondered if the way she felt meant that she was in love. So Pat's first love was Harvey Stick when she was just six years-old.

She later attended the Bowler Schools and graduated from High School with a class of 23 students. Sherman and Alfred "Squantum" Miller and Bruce "Uncas" Davids graduated in the same class. After graduating, Pat moved to Evanston as part of the government's relocation program. In the fall, she started working at Sentinel Radio and TV.

Pat and her brother, Arnold, visited Chicago and supported the forming of the first Chicago Indian Center. They are celebrating their 50th Anniversary this year. It was there that she learned to dance and she took part in other native ceremonies. 

A few years later, she came back to the reservation where her son, Occum Brave Isham, was born. She moved to Milwaukee and worked at Roa's Film Library. After a few years, she became a telephone operator for Wis. Telephone Company. While working there, she joined the Bahali Faith, met Charles Glover, and married. They have five daughters and one son.

While Pat's children were young, she often traveled to Indian reservations giving public talks for the Baha'i Faith. Later, Pat went back to a paying job. She became the Secretary at the Milwaukee Indian Community School when the property on the shore of Lake Michigan was taken over by the American Indian Movement. Later she changed to a government job as a Secretary with Housing and Urban Development (HUD).

Pat decided to divorce  and left Milwaukee with her son, Charles, and moved to Evanston Illinois. There she worked for the National Spiritual Assembly (NSA) of the Bahalis of the United States. After two years, she returned to Milwaukee. There she began working with the Gamaliel Chair for Peace and Justice and Lutheran Campus Ministry at UW-Milwaukee. The most exciting part of this job was meeting people working for Justice in their communities all over the world including a disciple of Mahatma Ghandi from Lucknow India.

After eight years, Pat left there and worked at the Interfaith Conference of Greater Milwaukee. Just as she started work there, Archbishop Tutu came from Africa, and Pat helped to arrange his visit. She had the bounty of working with members of the religious community in Milwaukee including Buddhist, Moslem, Seik and Christian clergy. She retired in 1997 when she became disabled. Since retirement, Pat has served as a volunteer in several capacities. The most notable was her job with blinded veterans at Milwaukee Veterans Hospital.

She was very proud when members of the Stockbridge-Munsee Tribal Council came to a ceremony inducting her into the Milwaukee County Senior Citizens Hall Of Fame. Today she helps at the Indian Elderly, sings with choirs and works in the Milwaukee Bahali Archives. Pat lives a very contented life in Milwaukee near five of her children and her ten grandchildren. She still travels whenever she can and visited her son and his wife in Nova Scotia this summer.